Tuesday, July 2, 2013
Gift Ideas for New Parents
1. The baby gets so many new things it's also nice to shower the parents with a couple of special items. One of my closest friends knew how much I missed some of my favorite foods while I was pregnant (salami, sangria, good unpasteurized cheeses) so she made me a basket of all my favorite couldn't-have-while-I-was-pregnant foods. Just be conscious if your friend is breast feeding because that brings on an entirely new set of food no-no's.
2. Speaking of food, another amazing gift for new parents is a home cooked meal, or even take out from a nice restaurant (fast food doesn't count!) Mike's co-workers took turns bringing us meals for 4 weeks! It was such a wonderful gesture and it was so nice to not have to worry about what to cook for dinner and to get a home cooked meal...life was so hectic post-baby that we honestly didn't cook a meal in our kitchen for almost two months!
3. A basket of favorite magazines, movies, and snacks. New parents spend a lot of time in the house, especially breast feeding moms (I can vividly remember those 40+ minute nursing marathons at the beginning) so reading materials and fun things to watch are a much needed sanity escape!
4. Children's books are a definite must on my gift giving list. I like to give a collection of favorites with an inscription to the baby.
5. A Baby Brezza or other similar cooking tool for baby. Since L has started eating solids this has been an amazing gift....I can find so many uses for it after she's done with it too...it makes baby food making a cinch.
6. Your babysitting services. Being a new parent is such a wonderful and amazing experience, but it's also emotional, tiring, draining, and overwhelming to say the least....every parent needs a break at some point and while they might not take you up on your offer now, at some point they will want to hand over that little bundle of joy and enjoy a night out or even just a few hours of uninterrupted sleep.